Friday, August 04, 2006

"To Want"

This was written in 2003, after the long awaited birth of our son, Seth. It was written about the struggle with infertility, but relates to many delayed gratifications in life.

To want something so badly
that it hurts--
To pour your heart out into a dream,
And then to receive it,
May be life’s greatest privilege
After all.
Who can put a price
On a vision brought to life?
And what joy would it bring
To achieve it easily?
Though the pain may be real,
Unbearably real and
Soul-discouraging at times,
This much I have learned--

Each day that passes,
Each sobering moment
of doubt and despair,
of struggle and strife,
Heaps a spoonful of sweetness
Atop the joy to be had
On that glorious someday to come
When dream meets reality.
When what once was a curse
Turns to blessing,
A great magnifying glass
For the joys that abound.
Joys that exceed your fondest wish,
Your wildest dream in fervent prayer.
Joys only heightened
by the memory of longing.

What great fortune to be that mother.
What greater fortune indeed to be
that precious child,
born to such a love as this.

2 comments:

Sharee said...

I absolutely love this poem ... I may post it on my site ...

I never thought of it that way ... that our child would be the one who was blessed simply because our hearts were wide open waiting for a child to love.

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

This is beautiful.