If you hate me because I’m “beautiful”
Please don’t bother.
Soon enough this skin will fall away
And only One will know what lies beneath
If you hate me because I’m gifted
Or blessed beyond what I deserved
Take a look in the mirror
And thank God that Grace is for everyone.
I don’t know why these things amuse you--
To isolate and to judge.
I don’t know why you’d choose to hate me
When all I ever offered you was love.
But I know that any wrong I’ve done
is covered by the blood of my Redeemer
And I’m righteous in his sight
And I know that every arrow that you aim
In the direction of one of His chosen ones
Will only pierce your flesh
For He has promised to avenge
And I’m humbled by the mercy I’ve been shown
That I can turn my back to you
In the shelter of His arms
And I’m thankful that I can
Finally stop trying to please you.
It was a waste of my time, anyway.
It was a waste of His time, anyway.